October is American Archives Month, a time to celebrate the great institutions that protect and share our communities historic resources. Find out some of the great events the Truban Archives will be hosting during this month here.
Since 2006 October has been the month set aside by the Society of American Archivist to remind people that important historic items are being preserved, cataloged, and made available for public use by countless historic sites and their dedicated staff.
The Shenandoah County Library's Truban Archives will be taking steps during the month of October to participate in this national celebration while also highlighting the unique local collections held by the library. Below are some of the local and regional and events we will be sponsoring and/or participating in:
- The inaugural Shenandoah Valley Archives Fair to be held at the Shenandoah County Library from 10:00AM-Noon on Friday, October 11. This event will feature archivist and special collections managers from eight repositories that maintain collections related to the Shenandoah Valley who will be on hand with displays about their institutions. Individuals are invited to take this opportunity to visit and discover how they can assist with genealogy and regional history research.
- Archives Fair 2019 held at George Mason University's Fenwick Library in Fairfax VA. Wednesday, October 9, 2:00-4:00PM.
- Found in the Archives Open House will be held at the Shenandoah County Library from 4:00-7:00PM on Tuesday, October 22nd. This event is the perfect opportunity for individuals to learn about the Shenandoah County Library’s local history collection. It will feature a special display of unique local history items from the Truban Archives, a presentation on the Archives at 5:30PM, and the opportunity to meet with the library’s archives staff to discuss available resources.
- From October 1-October 31 the Truban Archives will be doing a Library Takeover with an exhibit over approximately 300 local history photographs that will be on display throughout the library building.
- State wide Archives Month festivities, including a Remix Contest where artists can create unique digital works utilizing historic imagery with the chance of winning great prizes. More at https://bit.ly/2lOZl96
For more information contact library archivist Zachary Hottel.