Fort Valley Community Library
6190 Woodstock Tower Road
Fort Valley, VA 22652
Phone: (540) 933-6714
About Us • Recent Events
Monday 4:00pm - 7:00pm
Tuesday 9:30am - 12:30pm
Wednesday 9:30am - 12:30pm
Thursday 4:30pm - 6:30pm
Friday 9:30am - 2:00pm
Saturday 9:30am - 12:30 pm
The Fort Valley Library is nestled in a picturesque valley with the Massanutten Mountain. Our dedicated staff of volunteers provides the community with access to a variety of media, technology, and services, activities. We maintain an adult collection of fiction and nonfiction, reference books, a young adult collection, and a local and Civil War history section. We have an extensive children’s collection, with a great emphasis on establishing a fun and educational atmosphere. The children’s room is brightly colored with appropriately sized furniture, a stage, DVD viewing, and accessible shelving. Our Summer Reading Program is always a fun and educational experience for children of all ages. The library also provides WiFi access, and public computers are available for both children and adults to use, with many great online resources available via the library’s Web site.
We’re sure you’ll agree that the Fort Valley Library is more than just a building with books; it’s a community.
History: The Fort Valley Library opened on May 2, 1998. It is housed in the “Old Fort School” building, which has a noble past. It was the smallest school in the Commonwealth of Virginia with the highest test scores. The Fort School closed in 1994. With the building standing empty, deterioration was inevitable. The roof was caving in, and the interiors had extensive water damage. The Fort Valley community wanted a local library and community center, so residents persuaded the county to bring the former two-room schoolhouse back to life. Many volunteer hours were spent scraping and painting, building shelves, and sorting books. Eventually, a dream became reality. The library opened initially as an independent community library, but later became part of the Shenandoah County Library system.
Mission: Our mission is to provide convenient access to information in useful formats; to create an environment that fosters lifelong learning, personal enrichment, and a more literate society; to strengthen information partnerships through resource sharing; and to promote library services, programs, and materials in our community.
Our goals for the coming years are:
· To foster educational programs for community residents.
· To strengthen our special collections and educate community residents about the availability of our special collections in the following areas: local history, Civil War, forestry, gardening, hunting & fishing, and knitting.
· To continue to provide popular current fiction for our residents.
· To focus attention on our library and its resources.
· To continue offering our strong children’s Summer Reading programs.
· To train and recruit volunteers in order to provide our patrons with a useful staff.
· To maintain the building & equipment in a manner that assures the safety of the public and the library’s continuation as a community resource.
· To increase the use of the building for community and family activities.